Thursday 29 July 2010

L'histoire de Rossbif


I am a recent graduate from the University of Loughborough, with a degree in Accounting and Financial Management... and I am fully aware that this is a terrible way to introduce myself. Doing such a thing at a dinner party would be social suicide. I would almost cetainly be labelled "gimp" or "the boring twat over there" and would probably spend the evening desperately trying to reverse these damning opinions. Cue laughing shamelessly at jokes and feigning interest in whatever it is the poor person that has been stuck with me has to to say. Thankfully this is not a dinner party. 

That said, if you’re reading this, chances are (for now at least), you probably already know me for the social buffoon that I am. You may even decide to continue to think of me as "that boring twat/gimp", but stick with me my friends. If ever this thing snowballs, and I obtain thousands of adoring readers that think I’m an insightful and witty observer of the world, I will remember you: one of my original readers. You may or may not be rewarded for this.  

So, let me continue by assuring you that I am discarding my sordid past of numerical debauchery and will not be pursuing a career in finance (or any related nonsense). Rather, I have decided to enrol at the “University of Life” in an attempt to broaden my horizons and experience a little bit more of what this little planet has to offer (The rewards are obvious with such distinguished alumni like Chris Finch) . And so I find myself in Paris: a place where I hope to meet new people, learn a language and experience many new things, both good and bad! (You may have noticed the name of this blog; you see Ross-bif is a rather brilliant play on words. Much like the English refer to the French as frogs, (arguably due to their tendency to eat the little green buggers – though the debate is ongoing), the French affectionately refer to the English as Les Rosbifs due to our love of, yes you guessed it, Roast Beef! No prizes for guessing my first name then. Come to think of it, I probably am a gimp, but GImp-bif just wouldn't throw up connotations I'd be comfortable with. I'll stick with my original title thanks.

... Anyway, as I make my way through my little Parisian adventure, I will try to keep all those back home (and anyone else who is interested) updated on what I've been up to. I will be writing about anything I find interesting and I only hope you will share the sentiment.
 
A la prochaine, mes amis!

1 comment:

  1. So glad you're finally doing this.

    for the record, the brilliant play on words is mine

    "Writers are thieves and liars" or so they say

    looking forward to reading more...

    ReplyDelete